Slow air, lament, Scottish, by James Scott Skinner (1843 – 1927)
Also known as Hector MacDonald the Hero
- Audio – Jenna Reid: Hector the Hero – from the album Live in Shetland
- Video – Bagpipe Master: Hector the Hero – played on highland pipes
- Video – Fiddlevideo: Hector The Hero (Air) – Scottish Fiddle Lesson by Hanneke Cassel
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference. (Sheet music courtesy of Stephen Arnold.)
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Video – The Fiddle Channel: Hector the Hero (fiddle lesson) – lesson by Chris Haig
- Article – Wikipedia: James Scott Skinner – article about the tune’s author.
- Web page – The Session: Hector The Hero – crowdsourced sheet music and information