Jig, D Mixolydian, Traditional Irish
TrailJams Tune of the Week for November 14, 2021
- Audio – Georgia Nettleton: Blarney Pilgrim from The Blarney Pilgrim – Irish Jig Duet or Trio Sheet Music
- Video – Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann: Blarney Pilgrim from the album Foinn Seisiún 1: Traditional Irish Session Tunes
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
About the chords in this arrangement: “D5” designates a D chord in which only the root and fifth notes in the chord are played, and the third is omitted. So, a D5 chord consists of D and A. Because the third is omitted, the chord is neither major nor minor. (See the “Alternative Chords” section below for a different set of chords to accompany this tune.)
Play from the Dots
Here is an alternative version of chords to accompany the tune.
G – | D – | C – | G D | G – | D – | C | D
G – | D G | G – | D G | C – | D Em | Em D | C
D G | D – | G – | G – | D G | D – | G – | C D
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- The Blarney Pilgrim / Jimmy Ward’s / Gander in the Pratie Hole
Jump to the Blarney Pilgrim Jig Set
- The Star Above the Garter / The Blarney Pilgrim
- Merrily Kissed The Quaker / Blarney Pilgrim
- Blarney Pilgrim / Gander In The Pratie Hole
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Video – Blarney Pilgrims: Blarney Pilgrim/Garrett Barry’s Jig/Banish Misfortune. From the album Blarney Pilgrims, Olde Day Again.
- Video – Rose in the Heather: Blarney Pilgrim & Atholl Highlanders Jigs – live band performance, Portland, Oregon.
- Video – Kiana June: The Blarney Pilgrim fiddle tutorial (partial)
- Video – Red Desert Fiddle: Blarney Pilgrim (Jig) fiddle tutorial
- Video – Red Desert Fiddle: Blarney Pilgrim Slow Playalong
- Book – Irish Music 400 Traditional Tunes, by Stephen Ducke
- Video – MandoLessons (Baron Collins-Hill): The Blarney Pilgrim mandolin tutorial with tabs, chords, and audio tracks.
- Article: Dorian, Mixolydian, Oh My: Modes in a Nutshell, by Jonathan Lay, TrailJams