Jig, G, D, by Hammy Hamilton, 1983
Also known as The Kerfunken Jig; The Kerfunten Jig
Kerfeunteun is a town in Brittany (France), a suburb of of Quimper, roughly 301 miles (484 km) west of Paris. The name Kerfeunteun, in Breton, translates to “city fountain” or “city of the fountain” — with “ker” meaning city or town, and “feunteun” meaning fountain. Hammy Hamilton composed the tune on flute in the mid 1980s. He plays the tune in G, but it is often played in D.
- Video – Hammy Hamilton: The woodcock, jig ; The Kerfeunteun, jig / Hammy Hamilton, composer, flute, speech in English – the composer of the tune, Hammy Hamilton, plays The Kerfeunteun in G major on flute (beginning at time 3:26 in the video).
- Video – The Good Tune: Kerfunken Jig / Out On The Ocean Jig / Cowboy Jig – The Kerfeunteun in the key of D, with Kevin Lees on fiddle and Sebastian Bloch on guitar
Dots (Music Notation)
Click this link to go to the interactive score and video on the Irish Traditional Music Archive website. (The tune is presented in G major. The SoundSlice controls will let you transpose to a different key, but you must also switch the Recording control to “Synthetic.”)
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- The Woodcock (by Hammy Hamilton) / The Kerfeunteun (G)
- The Kerfeunteun (D) / Donnybrook Fair (G)
- Kerfunken Jig (D) / Out On The Ocean Jig / Cowboy Jig
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Article – Irish Traditional Music Archive: Compositions by Hammy Hamilton – ITMA blog, September 29, 2021.
- Interactive score and video – The Kerfeunteun [comp. Hammy Hamilton], jig / Hammy Hamilton, flute, from Hammy Hamilton Compositions
- Article: An Interview with Hammy Hamilton
- Web page – The Session: The Kerfunten Jig – crowdsourced sheet music and information.
- Website – Hamilton Flutes — Hammy Hamilton’s (flute maker) website
- Book – The Portland Collection, Vol. 2, Contra Dance Music in the Pacific Northwest By Susan Songer with Clyde Curley. (Sheet music for the tune in G major.)