Reel, A, Traditional Irish
Also know as: The Olive Branch; The Peacemaker
The Reconciliation, also known as The Olive Branch and The Peacemaker, is a strong and rousing reel. Played in the key of A major, the tune can make an especially welcome key change in some tune sets. While the tune is usually played as a reel, as it is in this setting, in Francis O’Neill’s Music of Ireland (1903) the tune is set as a hornpipe.
- Video – The Good Tune: The Reconciliation – Kevin Lees (fiddle) and Sebastian Bloch (rhythm guitar)
- Video – Banna De Dhá: The King’s Shilling / The Reconciliation – Tom Morley (fiddle) & Hazel Ketchum (guitar, voice), from the album Band of Two. The Reconciliation starts at time 5:01 in this recording.
- Video – The Irish Rovers: The Clare Reel, Music in the Glen, The Reconciliation – The Reconciliation begins at time 3:09 in this recording.
Dots (Sheet Music)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Congress Reel Set: Sheehan’s Reel / The Congress / The Reconciliation
- Lady Ann Montgomery / The Congress Reel / The Reconciliation
- Father Kelly’s / Reconciliation / Mountain Road / MacArthur Road
- Fermoy Lasses / Reconciliation / Galway Rambler
- The Mason’s Apron / The Humours of Tulla / The Reconciliation Reel
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Video – The Toucan Pirates: The Reconciliation – from the album Battle Songs of the Toucan Pirates
- Video – Donegore Tradition: Doon Reel / Congress / Reconciliation – from the album Irish Moments. (The Reconciliation begins at time 2:10 in this recording.)
- Book – The Portland Collection, Volume 1 – Contra Dance Music in the Pacific Northwest. By Susan Songer with Clyde Curley.
- Book & Audio – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes – tune played on (out-of-tune) tin whistle in accompanying audio
- Book – O’Neill: Music of Ireland – Francis (Cpt.) O’Neill,1903 (A.k.a., O’Neill’s 1850)
- Lesson – Online Academy of Irish Music – The Reconciliation – guitar accompaniment lesson (standard guitar tuning). Requires subscription to OAIM.
- Lesson – Katie Jane Lubiens: Reconciliation Reel- Irish Fiddle Tune – video demonstrating the tune played on fiddle and medium and slow tempos
- Lesson – Tergal14 Mandolin: Irish mandolin lessons. The Reconciliation (reel) – video demonstration of the tune played at moderate and slow tempo on mandolin, with tablature in video
- Additional Resources
- Webpage – The Session: The Reconciliation (Reel) – crowdsourced sheet music, comments, and other information