Slip jig, Bm, Traditional Irish
Also known as: The Humours Of Whisky; The Humors Of Whiskey
A nicely aged tune with sparkle, warmth, and perhaps a bit of peat smoke. This traditional Irish slip jig is best enjoyed in good company.
The tune alternates between a minor key in its first half and a major key in its second half. It starts in B minor. Then for the second half of the tune it shifts to D major (the relative major of Bm). Finally it either ends unresolved, or it comes “home” to resolve with a B minor chord.
- Video – Dulahan Ireland: The Humours Of Whiskey Slip Jig – played on tenor banjo
- Audio – Pennybrook Project (Jude Pelley): Humours Of Whiskey / Kid On The Mountain / The Butterfly from the album Two Sharps
- Audio – The Humours of Whiskey (Slip Jig) – played on tin whistle. From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes.
Dots (Sheet Music)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Derrycrossane Slip Jig Set: Fig for a Kiss / Humours of Derrycrossane / Humours of Whiskey
- Whiskey Mountain Slip Jig Set: Humours of Whiskey / The Kid on the Mountain
- Humours of Whiskey / The Kid on the Mountain / The Foxhunter (slip jig)
- Humours of Whiskey / The Kid on the Mountain / The Butterfly
- Fig for a Kiss / Humours Of Derrycrossane / Humours of Whiskey (Bm)
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Audio – Stuart Mason & John Weed: The Humours Of Whiskey – played slowly on fiddle with guitar backing. From the album Slow & Easy Volume 1.
- Book & Audio – Matt & Shannon Heaton: In Harmony
- Book – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music 400 Traditional Tunes
- Book – Grey Larsen: 150 Gems of Irish Music for Tin Whistle – with audio tracks of the tunes played on tin whistle
- Book – John Weed and Stuart Mason: Slow & Easy Volumes 1 and 2
- Lesson – Shannon Heaton: Humours of Whiskey (Slip Jig) – #NameYerTune – taught phrase-by-phrase on flute.
- Lesson – Online Academy of Irish Music: Humours of Whiskey – lessons with phrase by phrase instruction for flute, tenor banjo, and rhythm guitar; ornamentation, sheet music, and play-along tracks. Requires subscription to OAIM.
- Other Resources
- Webpage The Session: The Humours Of Whiskey (slip jig) – crowdsourced sheet music, comments and more