Are you wishing for an Irish tune session in the Portland, Oregon area that is slower than the regular TrailJams session and that includes some tune teaching and learning? Tune Explorer Sessions are weekly slow & learning sessions for musicians who are just starting to build repertoire and skill, or are building proficiency on an instrument.
This session is focused on playing traditional Irish tunes on melody instruments (not rhythm instruments or percussion).
Maybe you are . . .
- A beginner with only a few tunes in hand
- Exploring a second (or third, or fourth!) instrument and aren’t comfortable playing it yet at a zippier session
- Wanting to learn tunes in a group to be sure the version you learn is the one that is played locally
- Where: Waverly Church of Christ, 3300 SE Woodward St Portland, OR 97202 – map
- When: Saturdays, January 7 – April 8, 2023. April 1 session 4-6 p.m. April 8 session 3-5 p.m. PT.
- Who: Sessions are organized and led by fiddler Karen Dale
- What: learn traditional Irish tunes and how to play them in a “session” setting
- Cost: Your donation of $5 to $10 (cash) per session is requested
- You: have a basic ability to play your instrument and a desire to learn traditional Irish tunes and how to play in an Irish session. You do not need to be able to read sheet music. You do not need to be a “master” of your instrument, but these sessions will generally not teach you how to play your instrument.
What to bring:
- Face mask — to wear while “lilting” (singing) the tunes during the learning part of the session
- Music stand — (optional) for sheet music or notes. (Ability to read sheet music is not required for these sessions. A goal of the sessions is to learn to play the tunes without using sheet music.)
- Audio recorder — (optional) to capture part of the lesson to play along with later. A smartphone will work just fine. The session leader will tell you when it is OK to record.
Health & Accessibility
- The room can be ventilated with two fans in front of open windows. You are asked to wear face masks while “lilting” (singing) the tunes; you are welcome to wear face masks anytime at the session.
- The class will be held downstairs in the Fellowship Hall, accessible by the NE corner stair. There is an ADA-compliant lift available.
Tunes Taught & Played in the Tune Explorer Sessions
- Playlist PDFs – downloadable & printable lists of tunes that will be (or have been) played at each session are available in this folder: Playlists.
- Sheet Music PDFs – downloadable & printable sheet music for the tunes that are taught and played in the sessions are available in this folder: Sheet Music PDFs
- Taught Tunes – These are the tunes that have been (or will be) taught in the Tune Explorer sessions. Click on the tune name to go to the TrailJams page with sheet music, slow play-along tracks and more. For some of the tunes there is also Soundslice* interactive sheet music.
- January 7, 2023: Jimmy Ward’s (jig) | Soundslice
- January 14, 2023: The Lilting Banshee (jig) | Soundslice
- January 21, 2023: Ballydesmond Polka 2 | Soundslice
and Ballydesmond Polka 1 | Soundslice
- January 28, 2023: Ballydesmond Polka 3 | Soundslice
and Ger the Rigger | Soundslice
- February 4, 2023: The Cliffs of Moher (jig)
- February 11, 2023: Out on the Ocean (jig)
- February 18, 2023: The Snowy Path (slip jig or hop jig)
- February 25, 2023: Canceled
- March 4, 2023: Redican’s Mother (slip jig)
- March 11, 2023: Slides
- March 18, 2023: —
- March 25, 2023: —
- April 1, 2023: (4-6 p.m.) Reels – The Silver Spear (D), Cooley’s (Em), The Banshee (G)
- April 8, 2023: — (3-5 p.m. final Tune Explorer Session of the season)
*Soundslice: If there is a Soundslice link for a tune, it will take you to interactive sheet music with embedded audio. Soundslice is a great learning tool because it lets you change tempo, loop on sections, and see where you are in the sheet music as the tune is playing. The Soundslice version of the tunes will be available here during the winter-spring 2023 Tune Explorer season.
Slow Session Tunes
These are tunes that will be played during the slow session. Click on the tune name to go to the TrailJams page with sheet music, slow play-along tracks and more.
- Cliffs of Moher (A Dorian)
- Jimmy Ward’s (Jig, G)
- Lilting Banshee (A Dorian)
- Morrison’s Jig (E Dorian)
- Out on the Ocean (G)
- Far from Home (G)
- Merry Blacksmith, The (D)
- Ballydesmond Polka #1 (A Dorian)
- Ballydesmond Polka #2 (A Dorian)
- Ballydesmond Polka #3 (A Dorian)
- Harvest Home (D)
- Rights of Man, The (Em)
- Butterfly, The (Em)
- Boys of Ballisodare (G)
- Brosna Slide (G)
- O’Keefe’s Slide (A Dorian)
Airs & Waltzes
- Fanny Power (Planxty, G, Turlough O’Carolan)
- Inisheer Waltz (G, air, by Thomas Wash circa 1980)
Get on the Tune Explorer email list
Don’t miss important information, including late updates. Enter your name and email address to be added to the list of people who are interested in Tune Explorer. (You can unsubscribe to Tune Explorer email if you change your mind.)