Jig, D Mixolydian, Traditional Irish
This slithery jig is among the most popular jigs in the traditional Irish tune repertoire.
- Audio – Comhaltas: Banish Misfortune – tin whistle (Michael Crehan) and bodhran (Ned O’Farrell). From the album The Rambles of Kitty (Comhaltas 1967).
- Video – Enda Scahill: Mandolin Mondays Featuring Enda Scahill /// “Banish Misfortune” – played on mandolin. From David Benedict Mandolin, Mandolin Mondays.
- Audio – Stephen Ducke (Tradschool): Banish Misfortune – played on tin whistle. From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Pipe on the Hob Jig Set: The Pipe on the Hob (A Dorian) / The Hag at the Churn (D Mixolydian) / Banish Misfortune (D Mixolydian)
- The Hag at the Churn / Banish Misfortune
- Blarney Pilgrim / Garrett Barry’s / Banish Misfortune
- Banish Misfortune / Munster Buttermilk / Old Favorite
- The Killaval Jig / Banish Misfortune / The Black Rogue
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Book & Audio – Matt & Shannon Heaton: In Harmony
- Book – John Weed and Stuart Mason: Slow & Easy Volumes 1 and 2
- Book – Gary Coover: 75 Irish Session Tunes for Anglo Concertina (Rollston Press). One of a series of Anglo concertina tune books by this author. Available as a printed book a e-book.
- Book & Audio – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
- Book & Audio – Dave Mallinson: 100 Essential Irish Session Tunes
- Lesson – James Finnegan (The Banjo Buddy): Learn Banish Misfortune – Trad Tutorial – tenor banjo lesson video with sheet music and tab in video. Played with no ornamentation.
- Lesson – Baron Collins-Hill (Mandolessons): Banish Misfortune – mandolin lesson with video, sheet music, and play-along tracks
- Lesson – Mike Giverin (Mando Mike): Banish Misfortune – Mandolin Lesson (Advanced) – video lesson with downloadable guide including sheet music, tab, and instruction notes
- Lesson – Chris Haigh (The Fiddle Channel): Banish Misfortune (Irish fiddle lesson) – video lesson with sheet music in video
- Lesson – Shannon Heaton: Banish Misfortune [Jig] – Tune of the Month with Shannon Heaton – video lesson on flute
- Lesson – Michael Eskin (TradLessons.com): Banish Misfortune – video lesson on tin whistle
- Additional Resources