Hornpipe, G, Traditional Irish
Also known as Paddy Cronin’s Hornpipe; Denis Murphy’s Hornpipe.
This whimsical tune makes it easy to feel the sway, shuffle, and rock-rock-rock of the hornpipe dancer.
Be sure to look at the “Nifty Mnemonics” lyrics below for a handy way to remember the melody.
- Audio – Comhaltas: Cronin’s Hornpipe – session recording
- Video – Dulahan Ireland: Cronin’s Hornpipe – played on fiddle with guitar
- Video – Tunes From Doolin: Cronin’s Hornpipe | Irish Music Tunes on Concertina
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference. Hornpipes are played with swing and ornamentation that isn’t shown in the sheet music.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- The Humours of Tullycrine / Cronin’s Hornpipe
- The Stack of Barley / Cronin’s Hornpipe
Nifty Mnemonics –
Lyrics for Remembering the Tune
Here are some lyrics to help you remember how the tune starts. They are not traditional, and they are pretty silly.
Cronin's Hornpipe -- memory aid lyrics by Jonathan Lay A Part (2x): When I get up in the morning, and I hear the roosters, Cronin And I do a kind of hornpipe as I stumble down the hall It's not joy that gets me jumping, but what gets my heart a-pumping Is surprise of bare feet finding little toys on the floor B Part (2x): Oh the kid that plays with Legos, is the cause of my lumbago And the cat that scatters caltrops in the night can make me roar But then I love those little creatures, with their quirky little features I'll be on my knees to play with them in one minute more (Copyright Jonathan Lay 2022)
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Video – Irish Traditional Music Archive: Paddy Cronin’s hornpipe ; and other hornpipes ; Theresa O’Grady, banjo ; Gerry McMahon, guitar
- Audio – Theresa O’Grady: HORNPIPES – The Stack of Barley, Cronin’s – played on tenor banjo. Cronin’s starts at time 1:25 in this recording. From the album BANJO’ista.
- Audio – Stephen Ducke: Cronin’s Hornpipe – played on tin whistle. From From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
- Book – Foinn Seisiún, Volume 1 — Published by Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann.
- Book – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music 400 Traditional Tunes
- Book – Shannon Heaton: Oil for the Chain, Traditional and Original Irish Music – with audio tracks of the tunes played on flute; no chords.
- Book – Grey Larsen: 150 Gems of Irish Music for Tin Whistle – with audio tracks of the tunes played on tin whistle
- Other Resources