Jig, E Dorian (or Em), Traditional Irish
Also known as Tell Her I Will; The Banner
A strong and nimble traditional Irish jig. The tune is in a minor scale (Em or E Dorian) that is at home on either a D or G instrument.
(This tune could be considered to be in either E minor or in E Dorian, the difference being whether the C in the scale is C-sharp or C-natural. Since the tune contains neither C-sharp nor C-natural, it’s mode is ambiguous. )
- Video – Dulahan Ireland: Gallagher’s Frolics – played on fiddle, with guitar backup.
- Video – Port Mooncall: Gallagher’s Frolics – played on fiddle and cello by Rosalind Parducci and Summer McCall.
- Video – Chris Smith: Gallagher’s Frolics/The Pipe on the Hob/The Hag at the Churn – from the album Coyotebanjo, Irish Traditional Music from America, Chris Smith with Roger Landes and Randal Bays. Played on tenor banjo and fiddle with bouzouki backing.
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Gallagher Jig Set: Gallagher’s Frolics / The Pipe on the Hob (3-Part)
- Gallagher’s Frolics / The Pipe on the Hob (3-Part) / The Hag at the Churn
- Donnybrook Fair / Gallagher’s Frolics
- Tell Her I Am / Gallagher’s Frolics
- Gallagher’s Frolic’s / The Mist Covered Mountain
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Video – Shane Farrell: Gallagher’s Frolics – played on tenor banjo
- Video – Duncan Cameron: Gallagher’s Frolics – played on fiddle with close-up on left-hand technique. Played up to speed, then slowly.
- Audio – Whalebone: Hag of the Churn / Gallagher’s Frolics – played on mandolin. From the album Totally Plucked. Whalebone is Char Watson & Steve Downs. Gallagher’s Frolics starts at about time 1:34 in this recording.
- Video – Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill (Richmond Folk Festival): Tell Her I Am / Gallagher/s Frolics
- Video – Mikela Valenzuela: Gallagher’s Frolics – how I learn a tune by ear in 3 simple steps – played on fiddle, but applies to any instrument
- Video – Tergal14 Mandolin: Irish mandolin lessons. Gallagher’s Frolics (jig) – mandolin demonstration, with tab
- Video – Tradschool: Gallaghers Frolics 1 (Slow) – Tin Whistle Tutorial – Tradschool – tin whistle demonstration
- Other Resources
- Webpage – TheSession: Gallagher’s Frolics (Jig) – crowdsourced sheet music, comments, and other information
- Article: Dorian, Mixolydian, Oh My: Modes in a Nutshell, by Jonathan Lay, TrailJams