Slip Jig, Em, Traditional Irish
- Video – Kevin Burke: The Butterfly – solo fiddle, from the album In Concert
- Video – Mason Daring: Fiona – from the soundtrack to the movie The Secret of Roan Inish. In this version each of the three parts of the tune is played once (ABC) instead of the more usual form in which each part is repeated (AABBCC).
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Humours of Whiskey / The Kid on the Mountain / The Butterfly
- The Butterfly / Kid on the Mountain
- A Fig for a Kiss / The Butterfly
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Book & Audio – Matt & Shannon Heaton: In Harmony
- Lesson – Kevin Burke (Fiddlevideo): The Butterfly – Irish Slip Jig Fiddle Lesson – partial lesson. (Full lesson requires subscription to Fiddlevideo.)
- Lesson – Mandolessons (Baron Collins Hill): The Butterfly – mandolin lessons with sheet music, video, and play-along audio tracks.
- Lesson – Mando Mike: The Butterfly – An Irish Slip Jig – Mandolin Lesson (Beginner & Intermediate)
- Additional Resources