Jig, G, Traditional Irish
This traditional Irish jig is a popular session and dance tune and, obviously, an old favorite.
- Audio – Countercurrent: The Old Favorite / Dweller On The Threshold – fiddle with guitar backing. From the album Exchange. Countercurrent is Alex Sturbaum and Brian Lindsay, Western Washington, USA.
- Video – Dulahan Ireland: The Old Favourite Jig – played on fiddle with guitar backing
- Video – Shane Farrell Music: The Old Favourite Jig – tune played on tenor banjo
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Scatter the Mud Jig Set: Scatter the Mud (A Dorian) / The Black Rogue (D) / Old Favorite (G)
- The Old Favorite / Garrett Barry’s Jig
- Banish Misfortune / Munster Buttermilk / Old Favorite
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Video – Tom Morley: The Blacksmith Jig / Garrett Barry’s / The Old Favorite – played on fiddle, from the album The Raven’s Wing. (The Old Favorite begins at time 2:27 in this recording.)
- Audio – Stephen Ducke: The Old Favourite (Jig) – played on tin whistle. From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
- Video – StarCreekCeili: The Old Favorite – Garrett Barry’s Jig – played on uilleann pipes, fiddle, with guitar & bodhran. Star Creek Ceili Band, Foster, RI.
- Lesson – MandoLessons (Baron Collins-Hill): Old Favorite – mandolin lesson with video, sheet music, and play-along tracks.
- Lesson – Martin Hayes: Martin Hayes – “The Old Favorite” – Lesson #19 – fiddle lesson, with tune taught phrase by phrase
- Other Resources
- Webpage – The Session: The Old Favourite (Jig) – crowdsourced sheet music, comments, and other information.