Slide, E Dorian, Traditional Irish
The Road to Lisdoonvarna, a traditional Irish slide, is a favorite among session tunes. The village of Lisdoonvarna is in north County Clare, and the road, Ireland’s N67, also runs through Oranmore, Milltown Malbay, Galway, Ennistymon and Ballyvaughan.
- Video – Dulahan Ireland: The Road To Lisdoonvarna (Slide) – fiddle & tenor banjo with guitar. (Dulahan is the duo of Joe and Adele Green, County Mayo, Ireland.)
- Video – The Elftones: Road to Lisdoonvarna / O’Keefe’s Slide / Swallowtail Jig
- Audio – Baron Collins Hill (MandoLessons): Road To Lisdoonvarna (Fast): Mandolin & Guitar – mandolin with guitar backing. This track is part of a MandoLessons lesson.
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Murphy’s Road Slide Set: The Road to Lisdoonvarna (E Dorian) / O’Keefe’s Slide (A Dorian) / Denis Murphy’s Slide (D)
- The Road to Lisdoonvarna / O’Keefe’s / The Cuil Aodha
- The Star Above the Garter / The Road to Lisdoonvarna
- O’Keefe’s Slide / The Road to Lisdoonvarna
- The Butterfly / The Road to Lisdoonvarna
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Book & Audio – Tom Morley: Learn to Play Irish Trad Fiddle
- Lesson – Baron Collins Hill (MandoLessons): Road to Lisdoonvarna – mandolin lesson with video, sheet music, and play-along tracks
- Lesson – Tom Morley: Learn an Irish Trad Fiddle Tune – The Road To Lisdoonvarna – fiddle lesson
- Lesson – Peakfiddler: Irish Fiddle – Road to Lisdoonvarna Part 1/3 – fiddle lesson (part 1 of 3) with sheet music and backing tracks. Lesson continues in Part 2 of 3 and Part 3 of 3.
- Additional Resources
- Article: Jonathan Lay (TrailJams): Dorian, Mixolydian, Oh My: Modes in a Nutshell – a friendly and brief explanation of musical modes.
- Article – Wikipedia: Lisdoonvarna – a brief article about the town of Lisdoonvarna