Traditional Irish Reel, A Dorian
TrailJams Tune of the Week for August 26, 2021
- Video – Kevin Burke: The Star Of Munster / John Stenson’s no.1/ John Stenson’s no.2
- Video – The Star of Munster and the Maid Behind the Bar by Tony McManus & Julia Toaspern
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Here are some examples of sets that include The Star of Munster.
- Far from Home (G) / The Silver Spear (D) / Star of Munster (A Dor)
- The Unfortunate Cup of Tea / Ships are Sailing / The Star of Munster
- Paddy on the Railroad (D) / Star of Munster (A Dor) / Masons Apron (A)
- Star of Munster / Maid Behind the Bar
- The Star Of Munster (A Dor) / John Stenson’s no.1 (D) / John Stenson’s no.2 (A)
References and Resources
For those that want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Article – Dorian, Mixolydian, Oh My: Modes in a Nutshell, by Jonathan Lay, TrailJams
- Mikela Valenzuela: The Star of Munster – slow and fast — fiddle rendition
- Mike Giverin (Mando Mike): Lesson -The Star of Munster — advanced mandolin lesson (free)
- Kevin Burke: Lesson – The Star of Munster (Gm) — lesson (free excerpt; full lesson by subscription)
- The Portland Collection, Volume 1, by Susan Songer with Clyde Curley
- Video – Anthea Lawrence: The Unfortunate Cup of Tea/Ships are Sailing/The Star of Munster from the album Fiddlehead