Traditional Irish Reel, D
- Video – Comhaltas: Wind that Shakes the Barley, from the album Foinn Seisiun 2
- Audio – Olympia Traditional Music Sessions: The Wind that Shakes the Barley / Mountain Road, from the album Dingle
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- The Merry Blacksmith (D) / Drowsy Maggie (E Dorian) / The Wind that Shakes the Barley (D)
- Ships Are Sailing / Wind That Shakes the Barley / Matt Peoples / Julia Delaney
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Video – The Fiddle Channel: Wind that shakes the barley (fiddle lesson) – Chris Haigh demonstrates using a simplified tune as a foundation to which you can add notes and ornamentation. He also mentions swing and plays a sample of the tune with and without swing.
- Book – Learn to Play Irish Fiddle by Tom Morley
- Video – Tom Morley: Learn an Irish Trad Fiddle Tune – The Wind That Shakes the Barley