Slide, D, Traditional Irish
Also know as Dennis Murphy’s (Slide)
TrailJams Tune of the Week December 26, 2021; August 27, 2023
This traditional Irish slide is a session favorite. It is named for fiddler Denis Murphy (1910-1974) of Ireland’s Sliabh Luachra region. Sliabh Luachra (or Slieve Logher) is the mountainous region in Ireland that straddles the county boundaries of Cork, Kerry, and Limerick.
- Audio – Comhaltas: Denis Murphy’s from the album Foinn Seisiún Volume 1
- Video – Shane Farrell: Dennis Murphy’s Slide. Irish Tenor Banjo Music
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
- Murphy’s Road Slide Set: The Road to Lisdoonvarna (E Dorian) / O’Keefe’s Slide (A Dorian) / Denis Murphy’s Slide (D)
- Brosna Slide Set: The Brosna Slide / O’Keefe’s Slide / Denis Murphy’s Slide
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Audio – Stephen Ducke: Denis Murphy’s Slide. Played on tin whistle. From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes.
- Book – Foinn Seisiún, Vol 1. Published by Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann.
- Book – Irish Music 400 Traditional Tunes, by Stephen Ducke
- Video – Peakfiddler: Slow Play through – Denis Murphy’s Slide – demonstration on fiddle of the tune played up to speed and slowly
- Additional Resources
- Web page – The Jones Boys: Denis Murphy’s Slide notes about the tune and sheet music.