Reel, D Dorian, Traditional Irish
TrailJams Tune of the Week for August 19, 2021
- Video – Duncan Cameron: Julia Delaney
- Video – Peakfiddler: Julia Delaney – Irish Fiddle Reel
- Video – The Whistler: Julia Delaney’s (Reel) (Note: in this recording the tune is played in E Dorian on a D whistle. Play it on a C whistle for D Dorian.)
- Video – Kevin Burke: Julia Delaney, Trad Irish Fiddle Lesson (Excerpt of full lesson.)
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Companion tunes and sequences that work well for this tune.
- Julia Delaney’s Reel (D Dorian) / Tam Lin (D Minor)
References and Resources
For those that want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Claire Shirey: Julia Delaney’s Concertina Tutorial
- MandoLessons (Baron Collins-Hill): Julia Delaney (Instruction video for mandolin, with audio tracks and musical score.)