Reel (single), D Dorian, Traditional Irish
Also known as The Chicken on the Saucepan; The Maids of Mitchellstown; The Maid of Mitchelstown
The Maids of Mitchelstown is traditional Irish single reel that sounds great played slowly or at dance tempo. It is named for the town of Mitchelstown in County Cork, Ireland. At the foot of the Galtee Mountains, Mitchelstown is near the cities of Cork and Limerick, and the towns of Fermoy and Mallow.
- Video – Patrick Madden and Friends: Pipe on the Hob – Hag at the Churn – Maids of Mitchelstown – from the album Sounds of St. Andrews. (Maids of Mitchelstown begins at time 3:06 in this recording.)
- Video – The Bothy Band: The Maids of Mitchelstown – from the album Out of the Wind, Into the Sun. (This performance starts with a counter melody; The Maids of Mitchelstown melody begins at time 0:48.)
- Audio – Stephen Ducke: The Maids of Mitchelstown (Reel) – from the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- The Porthole of the Kelp / The Maids of Mitchelstown
- Tuttle’s Reel / The Bunch of Green Rushes / The Maids of Mitchelstown
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Video – P.J. Hayes & Martin Hayes: The Porthole of the Kelp / The Maids of Mitchelstown Reels – from the album The Shores of Lough Graney. (The Maids of Mitchelstown begins at time 1:59 in this recording.)
- Video – Kevin Burke: Tuttle’s Reel / The Bunch of Green Rushes / The Maids of Mitchelstown (Live) – from the album An Evening with Kevin Burke. (The Maids of Mitchelstown begins at time 3:14 in this recording.) The tempo in this recording is not fast, not slow: about 106 bpm.
- Video – Mithril Duo (Andra Bohnet & Tom Morley): Maids of Mitchelstown – from the album Bottom of the Punch Bowl
- Video – Culann’s Hounds: The Maids of Mitchelstown – from the album Culann’s Hounds
- Recordings in other Keys
- Audio – Randal Bays: Willie Owen / The Maids of Mitchellstown / House of Hamill – from the album Up the West. (The Maids of Mitchellstown is in Em or E Dorian in this recording, and begins at time 1:47.)
- Audio – Nathan Gourley and Laura Feddersen: The Maids of Mitchelstown / Callaghan’s – from the album Brightly or Darkly. Maids of Mitchelstown is played in B minor or B Dorian in this recording.
- Book – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
- Book: O’Neill: The Dance Music of Ireland, O’Neill’s 1001 – By Francis O’Neill (1848 – 1936). Published in 1907.
- Lesson – Kevin Burke: The Maids of Mitchelstown – Trad Irish Fiddle Lesson by Kevin Burke – partial lesson on fiddle, with some insights into the source of the tune. (Full lesson requires subscription.)
- Other Resources
- Webpage – The Session: The Maids Of Mitchelstown (Reel) – crowdsourced sheet music, comments, and other information.
- Article: Jonathan Lay (TrailJams): Dorian, Mixolydian, Oh My: Modes in a Nutshell