Reel, D, traditional Irish
Also known as Lady Anne Montgomery; Lady Montgomery
Lady Ann Montgomery is a cheerful Irish reel that is popular both as a session tune and a dance tune. Just who Lady Ann, the tune’s namesake is, has been lost as the tune lives on.
- Audio – Comhaltas: Lady Ann Montgomery – session recording. From the album Foinn Seisiún Volume 1.
- Video – John Whelan: Fearghal O’ Gadhra/The Wise Maid/Lady Ann Montgomery – played on button accordion. From the album Celtic Roots (Spirit Of Dance). (Vashon Island, Washington, USA. Lady Ann Montgomery starts at time 3:49 in this recording.)
- Video – Noel Hill and Tony Linnane: Lady Ann Montgomery / Cooley’s Reel – played on concertina and fiddle. From the album Noel Hill & Tony Linnane.
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Lady Ann’s Traveling Tea Set: Far From Home (G) / Lady Ann Montgomery (D) / The Cup of Tea (D)
- Far From Home / Lady Anne Montgomery / The Gravel Walk
- Father Kelly’s / Lady Ann Montgomery
- Lady Anne Montgomery / Kiss Me Kate / The Boyne Hunt
- Lady Ann Montgomery / Cooley’s Reel
- Lady Ann Montgomery / Earls Chair / Morning Dew
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Audio – Tim Ball and Sophie Orzechowski: Far From Home / Lady Anne Montgomery / The Gravel Walk – played on fiddle and flute with guitar. From the album Life of Their Own. (Ithaca, New York, USA.)
- Audio – Stephen Ducke: Lady Anne Montgomery (Reel) – played on tin whistle. From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes.
- Audio – John Whelan: Lady Anne Montgomery – Kiss Me Kate – The Boyne Hunt – played slowly (mid-tempo) on button accordion. From John Whelan’s 2021 “Taking Time” Session Recordings Archive, Taking Time #34. (Vashon Island, Washington, USA)
- Video – ComhaltasLive #620_14:Fiona Kelleghan and Ava Glancy – Fiona Kelleghan from Mullingar on banjo and Ava Glancy from Sligo on fiddle, play 2 Reels – ‘Forget me not’ and ‘Lady Ann Montgomery’.” (Lady Ann Montgomery starts at time 1:26 in this recording.)
- Book – The Portland Collection, Volume 1 – Contra Dance Music in the Pacific Northwest. By Susan Songer with Clyde Curley.
- Book & Audio – Dave Mallinson: 100 Essential Irish Session Tunes
- Book & Audio – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
- Book – Foinn Seisiún, Volume 1 — Published by Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann.
- Lesson – James Finnegan (The Banjo Buddy): Lady Anne Montgomery – Traditional Irish Music Tutorial – video tutorial for tenor banjo, with ABC notation in video
- Lesson – Sean Cunningham (whistletutor): Tin Whistle Lesson – Lady Anne Montgomery (reel) – video tutorial for tin whistle
- Lessons – Online Academy of Irish Music: Lady Ann Montgomery – lessons on flute and rhythm guitar; virtual pub sessions. (Requires subscription to OAIM.)
- Additional Resources
- Webpage – The Session: Lady Ann Montgomery (Reel) – crowdsourced sheet music, comments, and other information