Reel, D, Irish Traditional
TrailJams Tune of the Week for July 8, 2021
- Audio – Comhaltas: The Maid Behind the Bar – from the album Foinn Seisiún Volume 1
- Audio – Stephen Ducke: The Maid Behind the Bar (Reel) – played on tin whistle. From the book Irish Music – 400 Traditional Tunes
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Companion tunes and sequences that work well for this tune.
- Cooley’s Reel / The Maid behind the Bar
- The Maid behind the Bar / The Banshee
- The Banshee (G) / Cooley’s (E Dor) / Maid behind the Bar (D)
Jump to the Banshee Reel Set
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- Video – Shannon Heaton: Learning Irish Flute – Tune of the Month with Shannon Heaton – Maid Behind the Bar [Reel]
- Book – Stephen Ducke: Irish Music 400 Traditional Tunes
- Video – Chris Haigh: Irish fiddle lesson; learn The Maid behind the Bar
- Video – Red Desert Fiddle: Irish Tune a Week: Maid Behind the Bar – fiddle lesson.
- Video – The Maid Behind the Bar ft. Liam O’Connor | McNeela Music (Whistle & fiddle)
- Video – Stockton’s Wing: The Maid Behind The Bar
- Video – Rapalje: Cooley’s – Maid Behind the Bar – Two Irish Reels
- Video – Irish Reels – Maid Behind The Bar & The Banshee (Aaron Brown, Alanna Jenish, Philip Provencher)