Reel, D, Traditional Irish
The Silver Spear is one of the most popular tunes played in Irish sessions. If you play Irish tunes with others, it’s bound to come up.
- Video – Whistle Workshops – The Silver Spear (Reel) – played on tin whistle by Conor Lamb.
- Audio – Comhaltas: Silver Spear – session recording from the album Foinn Seisiún Volume 1
Dots (Music Notation)
As always for traditional tunes, the musical notation and chords do not indicate the “right” way to play the tune, but are a useful reference.
Play from the Dots
Examples of sets that include this tune.
- Silver Chair Reel Set: The Silver Spear / The Earl’s Chair/ The Musical Priest
- Far from Home Reel Set: Far from Home (G) / Silver Spear (D) / Star of Munster (A Dor)
- The Sally Gardens / Silver Spear / Humors of Tulla
References and Resources
For those who want to dig deeper, here are some other resources.
- More Recordings
- Video – Liz Carroll: The Silver Spear/The Earl’s Chair/The Musical Priest (Reels) from the album Lost in the Loop.
- Audio – Olympia Traditional Music Sessions: The Silver Spear Set – session recording, Olympia, Washington. (The first tune is The Silver Spear.)
- Audio – Andrea Verga: The Silver Spear – played on 5-string banjo in American old-time frailing style, with fiddle and uilleann pipes.
- Video – Mikela Valenzuela: The Silver Spear reel – slow, medium, fast – tune played on fiddle.
- Lesson – MandoLessons: The Silver Spear – full mandolin lesson taught by Baron Collins-Hill. Taught by ear, with sheet music, tab, chords and play-along tracks. (Free, with option to contribute or purchase tracks.)
- Lesson – Shannon Heaton: Learning Irish Flute – Tune of the Month with Shannon Heaton – Silver Spear [Reel]
- Soundslice Lessons – Enda Scahill: 5 Tunes for Irish Banjo – Simple and Ornate Versions – Soundslice lessons provide video with an animated musical score. This package includes simple and ornamented versions of 5 tunes including The Silver Spear. Taught on banjo, but also suitable for mandolin players. (Requires purchase of package.)
- Soundslice Lesson – Whistleworkshops (Conor Lamb): The Silver Spear (Reel) – tin whistle lesson with video and animated musical score. (Free)
- Book – Foinn Seisiún, Volume 1 — Published by Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann
- Book – Learn to Play Irish Fiddle, by Tom Morley — sheet music with chords and audio example played on fiddle.
- Book & Audio – Matt & Shannon Heaton: In Harmony – sheet music with chords and audio example played on flute with guitar backup
- Book – The Portland Collection, Volume 1, by Susan Songer with Clyde Curley
- Other Resources
- Web page – The Session: The Silver Spear Reel – crowdsourced sheet music and information